Curbside Collection Rules
- Garbage collection begins at 6 a.m.. Recycling collection begins at 5 a.m..Place covered cans curbside no earlier than 6 p.m. the evening before collection. Town Code also requires that emptied cans be removed from the street no later than 12 p.m. the day after pickup and all cans must be stored behind the front line of your dwelling on non collection days.
- Call your carter to arrange pick up of appliance and large metal items. Please do not place items at the curb until the night before your scheduled pick up collection date.
Beginning in January 2019 the Town will be collecting recyclables "dual stream", which refers to collecting bottles, cans and plastics one week and paper and corrugated cardboard the following week. Refer to the Trash Pickup & Recycling Calendar on-line for the details on this new collection schedule. Click here for more information on our "Back-To-Basics" dual recycling program.
- Place cans or bundles of yardwaste at the curb for collection on the weeks indicated by a leaf icon on your calendar. Branches must be tied in bundles no larger than 2×2×4 feet; leaves and clippings must be bagged or placed in uncovered cans. Grass is not collected. Grass mulching is recommended. Alternatively, bagged grass can be brought to The Town of Huntington Recycling Center for a fee of $2.00 per bag.
You May Not:
- Place certain types of electronics (e-waste) out for disposal as trash. Beginning in January 2015 New York State law requires mandatory recycling of e-waste.
- Place your trash receptacles and/or bulk items in multiple locations curbside at your residence.
- Place liquid paint out for collection. Liquid paint must never be thrown out in regular garbage. It harms the environment, damages roadways and ruins private property when compacted in the back of a garbage truck. Properly dispose of paint.
- Place porcelain, ceramic, and/or stone fixtures and materials (e.g.: toilet, sink, tiles, countertops) out for collection. These items are prohibited from curbside pick up. These materials must be self-hauled to a disposal facility or removed by a privately contracted waste hauler.
- Place items at curbside prior to 6 p.m. the evening before your scheduled collection day. It is a violation of the Town Code (emptied garbage cans must be removed no later than 12 pm the day after collection).
- Place large amounts of remodeling or construction debris out for pick-up. For amounts exceeding your collection service limits, you must make alternate disposal arrangements.(Either self-haul or hiring a roll-off.) Residents are advised that home improvements contractors are required by Town Code § 133-1. I. to remove any waste generated by their activities from the premises and dispose of them on their own at their own expense. These materials cannot be placed curbside for collection.
- Place out for collection any waste consisting primarily of concrete, cement, stones and/or landscaping soil/sand. To dispose of items of this type you must make alternate disposal arrangements.(Either self-haul or hiring a roll-off.)
- Place any refuse, bulk, yardwaste or recycling out for collection in front of any property other than your own.
Additional Disposal Guidelines