UPDATE SATURDAY 10AM:
Effective immediately, to ensure the safety of our roads, Huntington Highway Department Superintendent Andre Sorrentino has instructed his snow plow crews to clear snow from Town roads curb-to-curb.
Vehicles parked on the road are a hazard to snow plows. If your vehicle is still parked on the road, please move it to your garage, driveway or property as soon as possible.
Please do not shovel or throw snow into the street.
Watch for snow plows when shoveling and especially when running a snow blower.
Curb-to-curb plowing will push snow to the end of driveways but it will ensure roads are passable for residents and emergency vehicles after the expected 12 to 18 inches of snow we are expecting.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding of blizzard response operations as we get through this storm together.
MORE STORM UPDATES:
This is Huntington Town Supervisor Ed Smyth with a snow storm warning, info on closures and cancellations, and a request to keep cars off the roads.
According to current forecasts, we are expecting 12 to 18 inches of snow, high winds, freezing temperatures, and freezing flooded roads in our coastal areas Saturday night.
Please keep roads clear! Park in your driveway or garage and move cars off the street. Don’t throw snow into the street, and watch your back when using a snow blower or shoveling at night, as you will be less visible to snow plow drivers.
- On Saturday, our Recycling Center and Animal Shelter will be closed, commercial refuse collection will be cancelled, and HART bus is cancelling Saturday routes.
- The Dix Hills Ice Rink ice is closed on Saturday but the lobby is open as a warming center all weekend 6 AM to 12 Midnight (575 Vanderbilt Parkway, Dix Hills).
- Athletic fields and the Centerport Senior Beach House will be closed the entire weekend.
We are expecting temperatures in the teens to 20s –
- Check on elderly neighbors.
- It’s dangerous to leave pets outside in these conditions. Please keep dogs, cats and other pets indoors.
- To help prevent pipes from freezing, leave a trickle of hot and cold water running indoors.
- With the recent tragedies, please heed safety precautions when using space heaters to avoid causing a fire.
Report road issues, downed trees and wires blocking roads to Highway at (631) 499-0444 or HuntingtonNY.gov/Highway
- Report power outages or downed wires to PSEG Long Island at 1-800-490-0075, PSEGLINY.com or text OUT to PSEGLI or (773454).
- In the event of a gas emergency, or if you smell gas, call 911 or 1-800-490-0045.
Be prepared, stay warm and stay safe! Return to this page for the latest information.