Plastic, Metal & Glass Recycling
Rinse plastic, glass and metal recyclables clean and put into any rigid container, or blue bin that is stickered on both sides with "Huntington Recycles" stickers. Please make drainage holes in the container to allow rainwater to drain. The container, when full, should be no more than 50 lbs.. Place the uncovered container at the curb on the days indicated by the on-line calendar.
Recyclables in plastic bags will not be collected.
If you need a replacement for your blue bin, stickers are available from Town Hall, the Recycling Center and all libraries in the Town. These can be affixed to any garbage container of 39 gallons or less.
Acceptable Glass, Metal and Plastic Recyclables Include:
- Food and beverage cans
- Plastic food & beverage containers
- Unsoiled disposable aluminum pans & aluminum foil
- Wine beverage, liquor and juice bottles
- Food jars
- Shampoo and detergent bottles
- All plastic food, soap & beverage containers with Resin Codes 1 – 7 are accepted.
Unacceptable Curbside Glass, Metal and Plastic Recyclables:
Dispose of these items with your regular garbage. Styrofoam can be dropped off at our Recycling Center.
- Plastic bags and plastic wrap (see note)
- Plastic toys
- Hangers (see note)
- Aerosol cans
- Flower pots & plant containers
- Ceramic items
- Oil cans
- Light bulbs
- Mirrors and plate glass
- Durable cookware & Tupperware
- Empty paint cans
- Items without a resin code symbol.
(Note)These items are recyclable, just not through the Town’s curbside collection program. Many dry cleaners will accept hangers returned from homeowners. New York State law mandates that larger supermarkets and retailers have plastic bag recycling programs.
Plastic Packaging fill can be recycled. Telephone 1-800-828-2214 for the location of the nearest package store or business which accepts plastic loose fill for reuse.