Electronics Recycling Options for Households
Beginning in January 2015 New York State law has prohibited disposing of certain electronics as trash. These items must be recycled.
The NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act requires manufacturers to provide free and convenient recycling of electronic waste to household consumers in the state. It was signed into law by the Governor on May 28, 2010. For additional information on the law visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website for Guidance for Electronic Equipment Recycling. Manufacturers may use a variety of collection methods so any of the following collection methods are in full compliance with the law and available to the households of Huntington:
Retail Take Back Programs
Stores that sell electronics are required by the law to take back e-waste either through a drop
off program or a mail in program. Some locally participating stores are:
- Verizon Wireless. Accepts cell phones, tablets, netbooks and mobile hotspot devices from any carrier. If you recycle your device through this program you may be eligible to receive a Verizon Wireless gift card.
- Best Buy. Accepts electronics including TVs; some size restrictions apply. Hard drive removal and e-waste pick-ups may be arranged for a fee.
- Radio Shack. Accepts certain electronics via mail for trade-in value. Electronics with no trade in value may be recycled for free.
- Staples. Accepts certain covered electronics, restrictions apply.
- Greener Gadgets. Enter your zip code on this site for a list of local recyclers of electronics in your area.
The Town also offers alternative electronics recycling methods in addition to the E-waste Take-Back Program:
E-waste Drop Off Site at The Town Of Huntington Recycling Center
The Town of Huntington has a no cost drop off site for E-Waste at the Recycling Center located at 641 New York Avenue, Huntington, New York, 11743. It is available Tuesday through Saturday from 8 am to 4 pm. In addition to all equipment covered by the law, cell phones will be accepted for electronics recycling.
Small electric appliances (e.g.: vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, toaster ovens, mixers, slow cookers, clothes irons, et al.) are not acceptable for recycling in this program.
Curbside E-waste Collection
Call the Town’s Refuse Department at 351-3239 to schedule an appointment for curbside collection of electronics covered by the law. You should place the electronic waste at the curb the before 6:00 AM on your scheduled appointment date. Please note that minimum amounts are required for curbside collection. Call the number above to see if you qualify.