PROCEDURE FOR COMPLETING RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL, AND INDUSTRIAL SEWER CONNECTION PERMIT APPLICATIONS
Pursuant to Town Code § 164.7 and 164.8 a permit is required to connect to the sanitary sewers of the Huntington Sewer District or the Centerport Sewer District. This webpage contains instructions and printable forms that will facilitate the application process.
1. The application must be completed in its entirety prior to submittal. Download the application.
2. The person(s) or business making the sewer connection must be a plumber licensed with the Town of Huntington Engineering Department. For information on applying for a plumber’s license contact the Town of Huntington Engineering Department at (631) 351-3053.
3. The person(s) or business making the sewer connection must submit a copy of the valid plumbing license issued by the Town of Huntington Engineering Department along with their performance bond.
4. The person(s) or business making the sewer connection must have a performance bond on file with the Department of Environmental Waste Management in the amount of $5,000.00 for a period of three (3) years. The bond shall be ‘A-‘ or better as per AM Best guidance. The bonding company utilized shall hold a valid and current license to do business in New York State.
5. The applicant or his/her agent must submit a complete set of plans and specifications for all proposed sewer connection work (all sewer connections are required to be 6” in diameter minimum).
6. The applicant or his/her agent must submit a copy of the valid building permit for the proposed construction.
7. A diagram must be provided as part of the application package that depicts the site location, present and/or proposed structures for the site, present and/or proposed sewer discharge lines w/appropriate connections, and the location of existing sewer main lines and public water supply lines adjacent to or within the property boundaries. Download the diagram form.
8. A check must be enclosed with the completed application package in the amount of:
A. Residential and Multi-Residential Use Fee: $150.00
B. Commercial and/or Industrial Use Fee: $500.00
When the above-referenced requirements have been met and the application package has been completed and forwarded to the Department of Environmental Waste Management with the appropriate fee, copies of the application package shall be distributed to the Director of the Department of Environmental Waste Management, the Superintendent of the Huntington Sewer District/Centerport Sewer District (as applicable), and the Sewer District's retained engineering consultants for their review and approval.
No work shall proceed until all of the above-referenced requirements have been met. When all of the above-referenced requirements have been met, the person(s) or business making the sewer connection must notify the Superintendent of the Sewer Districts of a specific construction start time. Final post-construction approval of the connection will be subject to the successful completion of an on-site inspection, to be scheduled at least two (2) working days in advance, by a representative of the Huntington Sewer District/Centerport Sewer District.
Huntington Sewer District/Centerport Sewer District personnel will, upon notice of at least two (2) working days, mark-out the location of the main public sewer line for the applicant and/or contractor.
The applicant shall be notified by telephone when the permit is ready to be picked up. Please email the Department of Environmental Waste Management or call (631) 351-3186 if you should have any questions regarding this procedure or associated information.